Matthew Vaughn (Stardust) to Direct Thor, based on Marvel Comics
August 10, 2007–Matthew Vaughn will direct “Thor,” based on the Marvel Comics character. Marvel aims for a pre-strike production start this winter. Thor is a blonde-tressed, hammer-wielding hero who's sent to Earth to protect mankind.
Mark Protosevich (“I Am Legend”) adapted the comicbook franchise that launched in 1962.
Paramount releases today Vaughn's “Stardust,” the Neil Gaiman novel adaptation starring Robert De Niro and Michelle Pfeiffer.
“Thor” marks Vaughn's second effort at a superhero picture. He was attached to direct “X-Men 3″ before bowing out for personal reasons.
Vaughn, who produced the Guy Ritchie-directed films “Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels” and “Snatch,” made his directing debut with “Layer Cake,” starring Daniel Craig.
Marvel Studios will finance “Thor” using its $500 million credit facility through Merrill Lynch. Marvel has used that fund to finance both Edward Norton starrer “The Incredible Hulk,” which Universal releases June 13, and “Iron Man,” with Robert Downey Jr., that Paramount will open on May 2.
Leave a Reply
- Hollywood Foreign Press 2013: New Administration
- Box-Office: Weekend of June 7-9, 2013
- Blue Jasmine: Woody Allen’s Latest
- Dom Hemingway: Jude Law Crimer to Fox Searchlight
- Monuments Men: Starring Clooney and Damon
- Haynes’ New Film Carol Stars Cate Blanchett
- Cannes Fest 2013: Angelina Jolie’s Mastectomy Talk of Town
- Malick’s Knight of Cups
- Provincetown Film Fest 2013: Complete Program
- Cannes Film Fest 2013: New Selections Add to Geographic Spread
- Johnny Depp in Disney Musical
- Reese Witherspoon and Husband Agent Arrested–Variety Reports