Monsters Vs. Aliens Scores at Box-Office
March 28, 2009–Paramount's DreamWorks Animation release “Monsters vs. Aliens” grossed $16.7 million at 4,104 sites. It's the second best opening day for a DreamWorks Animation release behind the $17.6 million posted by last November's “Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa.”
Lionsgate also had a strong day as “The Haunting in Connecticut” chalked up $9.6 million on 2,732 giving the distrib its best opening day for a non-sequel horror pic, a record previously owned by its January entry “My Bloody Valentine 3-D” which made $8.2 million on its first Friday.
With 1,550 of the toon's 4,104 theaters being 3-D-equipped, “Monsters vs. Aliens” is the widest bow for a 3-D title. Paramount laid out a similar distribution plan to “Monsters” in late 2007 with “Beowulf” whereby only a certain portion of its prints were in 3-D. Roughly 40% of “Beowulf's” $27.5 million opening weekend B.O. – approximately $11 million — was derived from 3-D theaters.
Last weekend's number one picture “Knowing,” starring Nicolas Cage and released by Summit Entertainme, took third with $4.7 million on 3,337, down 48%, and an eight-day domestic gross of $36.2 million.
Paramount's R-rated bromance comedy “I Love You, Man” was fourth with $4 million, down 37% on 2,717 and an eight-day figure of $28.4 million.
“Duplicity” ranked fifth in its second Friday, collecting $2.3 million on 2,579, down 51%, and counting $20.4 million.
Leave a Reply
- Hollywood Foreign Press 2013: New Administration
- Box-Office: Weekend of June 7-9, 2013
- Blue Jasmine: Woody Allen’s Latest
- Dom Hemingway: Jude Law Crimer to Fox Searchlight
- Monuments Men: Starring Clooney and Damon
- Haynes’ New Film Carol Stars Cate Blanchett
- Cannes Fest 2013: Angelina Jolie’s Mastectomy Talk of Town
- Malick’s Knight of Cups
- Provincetown Film Fest 2013: Complete Program
- Cannes Film Fest 2013: New Selections Add to Geographic Spread
- Johnny Depp in Disney Musical
- Reese Witherspoon and Husband Agent Arrested–Variety Reports