Penelope Cruz: Oscar-Winner Reteams with Castellito (Don't Move)
March 13, 2009-Oscar-winning actress Penelope Cruz is in early negotiations to reteam with Sergio Castellitto, the Italian director whose 2004 “Don't Move” gave Cruz her career-making role. Cruz will play the lead in “Venuto al Mondo” (Into the World).
Speaking at a press screening of Pedro Almodovar's “Broekn Embraces,” in which she stars, Cruz said, “We're starting to talk but I can't confirm anything concrete as yet.” The Sarajevo-set drama about a single mother is based on a novel by Castellitto's wife, Margaret Mazzantini, as was “Don't Move.” Castellitto's producers, Roberto Cicutto and Luigi Musini, are putting together finance on “Into the World.”
Cruz intends to spend most of the year promoting “Broken Embraces” during its international bow through November. “Broken Embraces” played to a huge media turnout at its first public screening here in Madrid.
A love story and genre blender, part thriller, part romantic melodrama, laced with mark humor, “Broken Embraces” turns on the competition for the affections of an actress (Cruz) between a Spanish magnate (Jose Luis Gomez) and a film director (Lluis Homar). Almodovar's 17th film is loaded with film references, from Roberto Rossellini's “Voyage to Italy” and to to his own “Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown.”
Warner will release the film in Spain on March 18. “Broken Embraces” had been presented for selection at the Cannes Festival.
Leave a Reply
- Hollywood Foreign Press 2013: New Administration
- Box-Office: Weekend of June 7-9, 2013
- Blue Jasmine: Woody Allen’s Latest
- Dom Hemingway: Jude Law Crimer to Fox Searchlight
- Monuments Men: Starring Clooney and Damon
- Haynes’ New Film Carol Stars Cate Blanchett
- Cannes Fest 2013: Angelina Jolie’s Mastectomy Talk of Town
- Malick’s Knight of Cups
- Provincetown Film Fest 2013: Complete Program
- Cannes Film Fest 2013: New Selections Add to Geographic Spread
- Johnny Depp in Disney Musical
- Reese Witherspoon and Husband Agent Arrested–Variety Reports