Valkyrie: Political Thriller Will Open December 25
Dec 9, 2008–United Artists/MGM's Tom Cruise political thriller “Valkyrie” will open on Christmas Day instead of December 26, so that the picture can benefit from the moviegoing on Christmas night.
A record number of movies are unspooling over the Christmas frame this year: “Valkyrie” is one of five wide releases opening on December 25 alone. The other four are Disney's Adam Sandler laffer “Bedtime Stories,” Paramount's Brad Pitt-Cate Blanchett starrer “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,” Fox's Jennifer Aniston-Owen Wilson comedy “Marley and Me” and Lionsgate's “The Spirit,” directed by Frank Miller.
That's on top of the movies opening December 19, including Sony's Will Smith drama “Seven Pounds” and Warner's Jim Carrey comedy “Yes Man.”
The specialty side is equally busy over the holidays, with “Gran Torino,” “Frost/Nixon,” “Doubt” and “The Wrestler” all using the holiday to expand. Openers include “Revolutionary Road” and “Last Chance Harvey.”
Hurricane Season Pushed Back
“Valkyrie,” from director Bryan Singer, takes the spot vacated by Forest Whitaker sports drama “Hurricane Season,” which has been pushed back from Dec. 25 to next year. “Hurricane” was to be the last movie distributed by MGM via its output deal with the Weinstein Co. The picture will now be distributed by the Weinstein Co.
Please read our articles about the making of Valkyrie.
Leave a Reply
- Cannes Fest 2013: Angelina Jolie’s Mastectomy Talk of Town
- Malick’s Knight of Cups
- Provincetown Film Fest 2013: Complete Program
- Cannes Film Fest 2013: New Selections Add to Geographic Spread
- Johnny Depp in Disney Musical
- Reese Witherspoon and Husband Agent Arrested–Variety Reports
- L.A. Film Fest 2013: David O. Russell Guest Director
- Great Gatsby: Luhrmann's Dazzling 3D Montage
- Cannes Film Fest 2013: Jane Campion to Receive Director's Award
- Griffiths, Richard: British Actor Dies at 65
- Academy of Motion Picture 2013: New Scholarships
- Muscle Shoals: Music Docu