W: Stone's Biopic of Bush Will Be Released by Lionsgate
May 8, 2008–Lionsgate has acquired North American rights to “W,” the Oliver Stone-directed drama about the life of President Bush.
The film has been set for release on Oct. 17, giving the picture 3 weekends in theaters before the Nov. 4 presidential election. Shooting begins May 12 Monday in Louisiana.
Starring Josh Brolin as Bush, the cast includes Elizabeth Banks (Laura Bush), James Cromwell (George H.W. Bush), Ellen Burstyn (Barbara Bush), Thandie Newton (Condoleezza Rice), Jeffrey Wright (Colin Powell), Scott Glenn (Donald Rumsfeld) and Ioan Gruffudd (Tony Blair).
“We don't really know much about Mr. Bush beyond the controlled images we've been allowed to see on TV. This movie's taking a bold stab at looking behind that curtain,” Stone said in a statement. “I'm real pleased that Lionsgate has the independence necessary to bring this provocative story to an American audience.”
Distribution deal was made by Tom Ortenberg, Lionsgate president, who said, “With `W,' (Stone) again demonstrates his creative vitality and genius for speaking to our times.” The film will have an under-$30 million budget, and QED found its funding partners offshore. QED Intl. will sell remaining territories at Cannes beginning next week.
Leave a Reply
- Cannes Fest 2013: Angelina Jolie’s Mastectomy Talk of Town
- Malick’s Knight of Cups
- Provincetown Film Fest 2013: Complete Program
- Cannes Film Fest 2013: New Selections Add to Geographic Spread
- Johnny Depp in Disney Musical
- Reese Witherspoon and Husband Agent Arrested–Variety Reports
- L.A. Film Fest 2013: David O. Russell Guest Director
- Great Gatsby: Luhrmann's Dazzling 3D Montage
- Cannes Film Fest 2013: Jane Campion to Receive Director's Award
- Griffiths, Richard: British Actor Dies at 65
- Academy of Motion Picture 2013: New Scholarships
- Muscle Shoals: Music Docu