OSCAR PREDICTIONS AND OSCAR NEWS
Oscar Movies: Breaking the Ice (1938) C+
Boy soprano Bobby Breen dons a pair of skates in the musical “Breaking the Ice,” directed by Edward F. Cline, and nominated for the Original Score Oscar.
Escaping his rigid Mennonite relatives, Breen gets a job singing at a Philadelphia ice-skating rink. The goal is to earn enough money to help his widowed mother (Dolores Costello) free herself of relatives and buy her own farm.
Breen shares the spotlight with six-year-old skating sensation Irene Dare. The “Breaking the Ice” producer Sol Lesser tried to launch another series of family musicals built around Dare, but there was only one outing, “Everything’s on Ice.”
The reliable supporting cast includes Charles Ruggles, Billy Gilbert, and Margaret Hamilton.
Oscar Nominations: 1
Original Score: Victor Young
The winner was Erich Wolfgang for “The Adventures of Robin Hood.”
Running time: 79 Minutes.
Directed By: Edward F. Cline.
Leave a Reply
- Oscar 2013: Members to Vote in All 24 Categories
- Oscar 2013: Michelle Obama Defends Appearance
- Oscar 2104: Show to be Produced by Zadan and Meron
- Oscar Show Next Year March 2, 2014
- Oscar Actors: Ronan, Saoirse
- Cannes Film Fest 2013: Miguel Gomez Head of Critics Week Jury
- Oscar Actors: Ford, Harrison
- Oscar Movies: Manhattan Melodrama (1934)
- Oscar Actors: Bickford, Charles
- Oscar Directors: Boyle, Danny
- Oscar Actors: Berry Halle
- Oscar Actors: Peters, Susan