OSCAR PREDICTIONS AND OSCAR NEWS
Oscar Movies: Chalk Garden, The (1964) B+
Enid Bagnold’s famous play gets a poor transfer to the big screen under the helm of Ronald Neame.
Deborah Kerr plays a governess, who’s hired by an old, eccentric matriarch (Edith Evans) to take care of her granddaughter, played by Hayley Mills. Soon, the interaction between governess and girl is tainted and haunted by the former’s memories of her past.
This intimate character study is well acted by the incomparable Evans, who received yet another Oscar nomination for playing a matriarch, Deborah Kerr, who also played the governess in “The Innocents” (1961), Hayley Mills, then very popular with young viewers after the success of “Pollyanna” and “The Parent Trap.”
The cast also includes Hayley’s real-life father, John Mills.
Oscar Nominations: 1
Supporting Actress: Edith Evans
Oscar Awards: None
The winner of the Supporting Actress Oscar was Lila Kedrova in “Zorba the Greek,” in a contest that included Gladys Cooper for “My Fair Lady,” Grayson Hall for “The Night of the Iguana,” and Agnes Moorehead in “Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte.”
Leave a Reply
- Oscar 2013: Members to Vote in All 24 Categories
- Oscar 2013: Michelle Obama Defends Appearance
- Oscar 2104: Show to be Produced by Zadan and Meron
- Oscar Show Next Year March 2, 2014
- Oscar Actors: Ronan, Saoirse
- Cannes Film Fest 2013: Miguel Gomez Head of Critics Week Jury
- Oscar Actors: Ford, Harrison
- Oscar Movies: Manhattan Melodrama (1934)
- Oscar Actors: Bickford, Charles
- Oscar Directors: Boyle, Danny
- Oscar Actors: Berry Halle
- Oscar Actors: Peters, Susan