OSCAR PREDICTIONS AND OSCAR NEWS
Oscar Movies: Elementary School (1991) B+
In Jan Sverak’s “Elementary School,” which is set in 1945, right after WWII, Eda, who is 10, and his friend Tonda live in a small village outside Prague.
In school, their class is so erratic and undisciplined that their teacher quits and is replaced by the militant Igor Hnidzo, who is very stict.
But then the studnets find out that Igor has one major weakness, strong interest in young women.
Sessitively directed by Czech director Jan Sverak, in an impressive feature debut, “Elementary School” is by turns light, bittersweet, and nostalgic in depciting the pimpact of a disruptive system on its pupils.
Sverak also co-wrote the script and stars in the film.
Running time: 100 Minutes.
Oscar Nominations: 1
Best Foreign Language Film
Oscar Awards: None
The winner of the Best Foreign Language Oscar was the Italian entry, “Mediterraneo.”
Leave a Reply
- Oscar 2013: Members to Vote in All 24 Categories
- Oscar 2013: Michelle Obama Defends Appearance
- Oscar 2104: Show to be Produced by Zadan and Meron
- Oscar Show Next Year March 2, 2014
- Oscar Actors: Ronan, Saoirse
- Cannes Film Fest 2013: Miguel Gomez Head of Critics Week Jury
- Oscar Actors: Ford, Harrison
- Oscar Movies: Manhattan Melodrama (1934)
- Oscar Actors: Bickford, Charles
- Oscar Directors: Boyle, Danny
- Oscar Actors: Berry Halle
- Oscar Actors: Peters, Susan