OSCAR PREDICTIONS AND OSCAR NEWS
Oscar Movies: Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The
Oscar Nomination: 4
Picture, produced by Henry Blanke
Director: John Huston
Screenplay: John Huston, based on the novel by B. Traven
Supporting Actor: Walter Huston
Oscar Awards: 3
In 1948, “The Treasure of the Sierra Madre” competed for the top Oscar with Laurence Olivier's “Hamlet,” which won Best Picture, Actor, and other awards; the ballet-drama “The Red Shoes,” which broke box-office records in the U.S.; the melodrama “The Snake Pit,” with Olivia de Havilland; and Jean Negulesco's “Johnny Belinda.”
The Oscar show was a big night for the Huston family: father Walter Huston won the Supporting Actor Oscar in a film written and directed by his son, John Huston.
The most nominated picture, and thus the biggest loser, was “Johnny Belinda,” receiving 12 nominations, but winning only one Oscar, Best Actress for Jane Wyman as the deaf-mute girl Belinda McDonald.
The major awards were spread rather evenly among the five nominees. “The Red Shoes” deservedly won the technical awards in color, a distinction that increased the number of winning films.
related article 1: Oscar Families: The Hustons.
Leave a Reply
- Oscar 2013: Members to Vote in All 24 Categories
- Oscar 2013: Michelle Obama Defends Appearance
- Oscar 2104: Show to be Produced by Zadan and Meron
- Oscar Show Next Year March 2, 2014
- Oscar Actors: Ronan, Saoirse
- Cannes Film Fest 2013: Miguel Gomez Head of Critics Week Jury
- Oscar Actors: Ford, Harrison
- Oscar Movies: Manhattan Melodrama (1934)
- Oscar Actors: Bickford, Charles
- Oscar Directors: Boyle, Danny
- Oscar Actors: Berry Halle
- Oscar Actors: Peters, Susan