Los Angeles Times Has New editor: Russ Stanton
February 14, 2008–The Los Angeles Times has a new editor: Russ Stanton. The paper has also realigned the leadership of its print and online operations in order to foster more collaboration with those units. Dave Murphy, Times' general manager and exec vp of advertising sales, will exit once a successor is named.
Times made the announcement Thursday, a day after parent company Tribune said the paper will have to cut down 100-150 jobs as part of broader plan to layoff of 400-500 people in Tribune's publishing and corporate operations. The cuts come as revenue at Tribune's newspapers has dropped sharply in the past year.
Stanton succeeds James O'Shea, who was ousted last month after less than 2 years in the post after balking at making budget cuts requested by Times publisher David Hiller. Stanton, who reports to Hiller, spent the past year serving as innovation editor for the Times, overseeing editorial for its online operations.
Russ Stanton is said to combine personal leadership, communication skills, the highest journalistic standards and a commitment to excellence.
Jack Klunder was appointed to the new post of LA Times Newspaper, overseeing the core print business, including circulation and operations. Murphy will report to Klunder for the rest of his tenure.
Bob Bellack has been named prexy of development and digital media, focusing on acquisitions, partnerships, mobile and digital growth areas such as Web-based classified advertising.
John O'Loughlin has been named prexy of Targeted Media, overseeing the Times' speciality publishing operations including the Spanish-language Hoy, Times Community Newspapers, the L.A. wing of Tribune Direct Marketing and Metromix entertainment and lifestyle website. O'Loughlin will continue to head the L.A. Times Media Group's marketing, strategy, planning and research efforts.
Leave a Reply
- Tony Award Nominations 2013: Kinky Boots Vs. Matilda
- London Theater Olivier Awards 2013: Nominations in All Categories
- GLAAD Awards 2013: Anderson Cooper, AIDS Docu, Smash
- Liberace Biopic: Serious Look at Gay Relationship
- Les Miserables: What You Need to Know–Context, Events
- Obama Romney Second Debate: Showdown
- Emmy Awards 2012: So-So Ratings
- Homeland: Emmy Awards Top Winner
- Elections 2012: More Americans Watch Obama than Romney
- Grammy Awards 2012: Bigger Audience than for the Oscars
- Diner: From Screen to Stage
- Sundance Institute Theatre Lab