Minkoff, Rob: Director
Rob Minkoff is the director of the new Jackie Chan-Jet Li vehicle, “The FORBIDDEN KINGDOM.”
Minkoff's projects have grossed almost one and a half billion dollars worldwide and comprise some of cinema's most innovative and inspiring films. Blessed with imagination for telling timeless stories, Minkoff was part of the creative team behind the groundbreaking film, “THE LION KING.” The film garnered two Oscars, three Golden Globes, and earned almost $800 million worldwide, becoming the highest-grossing traditionally animated feature in the U.S.
One of few directors to work in animation as well as live action, Minkoff used his mastery of combined media in the photo-realistic CGI animated “STUART LITTLE” series. This series was critically received and earned almost $500 million worldwide. In addition, he directed the Eddie Murphy starrer, “THE HAUNTED MANSION,” which was based on the popular Disneyland attraction.
Minkoff spent his formative years at Disney working with legendary animator, Chuck Jones. He quickly moved through the ranks to Supervising Animator within his first few years with the company. Minkoff found a natural progression to directing, making his debut with two Roger Rabbit shorts, TUMMY TROUBLE and ROLLERCOASTER RABBIT.
“FORBIDDEN KINGDOM” represents Minkoff's life-long interest in Chinese culture and tradition. A student of traditional Kung Fu cinema, Minkoff has spent the last ten years since first visiting China living between the US and Beijing. In addition, he and his wife, a 76th generational descendant of Confucius, continue their study of traditional and pop Chinese Culture.
related article 1: Forbidden Kingdom, The.
related article 2: Forbidden Kingdom: Making of a Jackie Chan-Jet Li Actioner.
related article 3: Forbidden Kingdom with Jackie Chan and Jet Li.
Leave a Reply
- Bling Ring: Interview with Sofia Coppola
- Before Midnight: Interview with Linklater
- Hangover Part 3: Interview with Director Phillips
- Reluctant Fundamentalist: Indian Director’s Film about Pakistani Man
- Oblivion: Interview with Creator Kosinski
- Place Beyond the Pines: Interview With Director Derek Cianfrance
- Host: Interview with Director Andrew Niccol
- Host: Interview with Writer Stephenie Meyer
- 42: Interview with Writer-Director Brian Helgeland
- Olympus Has Fallen: Interview with Director Fuqua
- Deep, The: Interview with Baltasar Kormakur
- Call, The: Interview with Director Brad Anderson