Buccaneer, The (1958) C
This disappointing remake of DeMille’s 1938 blockbuster was directed by Anthony Quinn, better known as an actor (“Zorba the Greek”). It’s Quinn’s only directorial effort. (Quinn was married at the time to DeMille’s daughter).
Quinn reunites two of the stars of DeMille’s “The Ten Commandments,” Charlton Heston, who plays Andrew Jackson, and Yul Brynner, cast as the pirate Jean Lafitte.
Heston had played Jackson before, in “The President’s Lady,” in 1953.
Joining the cast are Charles Boyer and the lovely Claire Bloom.
Oscar Nominations: 1
Costume design: Ralph Jester, Edith Head, John Jensen
Oscar Awards: None
The winner was Cecil Beaton for “Gigi.”
Leave a Reply
- Hangover Part III
- Blood Ties
- Inside Llewyn Davis: Top Coens, Cannes Highlight
- Jimmy P. (Psychotherapy of Plains Indian)
- Fast & Furious 6: Thrilling Joyride
- Angelina Jolie Double Mastectomy–Talk of Cannes Film Fest
- Bling Ring, The
- Before Midnight: Hawke and Delpie at Mid-Age
- Stories We Tell
- Great Gatsby: Luhrmann’s Jazzy Spectacle
- Star Trek into Darkness: Solid Sequel