Butch and Sundance: the Early Days (1979) C-
This disappointing “prequel” to the 1969 Paul Newman-Robert Redford smash hit vehicle Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is written by TV sitcom vet Allan Burns and directed by Richard Lester (better known for his two inventive Beatles movies), whose career was in severe decline.
The film, which stars Tom Berenger as Butch Cassidy iam Katt as Sundance Kidaces the formative days of Butch and Sundance’s careers as soft-hearted Western outlaws, and their creation of the Hole-in-the-Wall Gang.
Te fictional heroine, named Mary, is played by Jill Eikenberry.
Only Jeff Corey, as Sheriff Ray Bledsoe, repeats his role from the original, far superior film. The secondary cast also includes Peter Weller and Brian Dennehy.
This quickie of a movie was a box-office flop.
Oscar Nominations: 1
Costume design: Willia Ware Theiss
The winner of the Costume Design Oscar was Albert Wolsku for “All That Jazz.”
Leave a Reply
- Nebraska: From Alexander Payne
- Behind he Candelabra: Liberace Biopic
- Hangover Part III
- Blood Ties
- Inside Llewyn Davis: Top Coens, Cannes Highlight
- Jimmy P. (Psychotherapy of Plains Indian)
- Fast & Furious 6: Thrilling Joyride
- Angelina Jolie Double Mastectomy–Talk of Cannes Film Fest
- Bling Ring, The
- Before Midnight: Hawke and Delpie at Mid-Age
- Stories We Tell
- Great Gatsby: Luhrmann’s Jazzy Spectacle