Captain Carey, U.S.A. (1950)
Oscar Nominations: 1
Song: “Mona Lisa,” music and lyrics by Ray Evans and Jay Livingston
Oscar Awards: 1
Mitchell Leisen’s post-WWII melodrama concerns an American man (played by Alan Ladd), who returns to an Italian village, where he and the residents were betrayed by an informer.
Nat King Cole’s tune hit, “Mona Lisa,” started a trend in Hollywood of using popular songs in movies, whether or not they are directly related to their plots.
The secondary cast includes Wanda Hendrix and Francis Lederer, and you can spot the very young Russ Tamblyn (who would later appear in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers”).
Leave a Reply
- Blood Ties
- Inside Llewyn Davis: Top Coens, Cannes Highlight
- Jimmy P. (Psychotherapy of Plains Indian)
- Fast & Furious 6: Thrilling Joyride
- Angelina Jolie Double Mastectomy–Talk of Cannes Film Fest
- Bling Ring, The
- Before Midnight: Hawke and Delpie at Mid-Age
- Stories We Tell
- Great Gatsby: Luhrmann’s Jazzy Spectacle
- Star Trek into Darkness: Solid Sequel
- Love Is All You Need: From Denmark Via Italy