Captain Caution (1940)
Set during the war of 1812, Hal Roach’s swashbuckler “Captain Caution” centers on a woman named Corunna (played by Louise Platt), who’s the daughter of Captain Dorman (Robert Barrat), skipper of the American vessel The Olive Branch.
When Dorman is killed in battle, Corunna assumes command of the ship, with the help of muscular first mate Dan Marvin (Victor Mature). While trying to bring a cargo to America, the Olive Branch is captured by the British, but Corunna and Marvin manage to carry on their mission. Another obstacle is represented by Slade (Bruce Cabot), whose goal is to get the girl and the ship.
Directed by Richard Wallace, the film is based on a novel by Kenneth Roberts.
Oscar Nominations: 1
Oscar awards: None
The winner was Douglas Shearer (actress Norma Shearer’s brother) for the musical “Strike Up the Band.”
Leave a Reply
- Jimmy P. (Psychotherapy of Plains Indian)
- Fast & Furious 6: Thrilling Joyride
- Angelina Jolie Double Mastectomy–Talk of Cannes Film Fest
- Bling Ring, The
- Before Midnight: Hawke and Delpie at Mid-Age
- Stories We Tell
- Great Gatsby: Luhrmann’s Jazzy Spectacle
- Star Trek into Darkness: Solid Sequel
- Love Is All You Need: From Denmark Via Italy
- Kiss of the Damned: Oversexed Vampires
- Murphy’s Romance (1986): James Garner’s Only Oscar Nomination