Enemy Below, The (1957)
Set in WWII, “The Enemy Below” is a suspenseful take of of submarine warfare between the Americans and the Germans,
Robert Mitchum plays Murrell, the captain of an American destroyer who, having lost his family in the war, decides to go into in combat.
Noted German actor Curt Jurgens (“The Blue Angel” remake) plays Von Stolberg, the U-boat commander, who’s as decent and honorable gentleman as Mitchum’s Murrell
Despite the politics, the two men develop a peculiar mutual respect as they pursue one another throughout the North Atlantic.
Based on a novel by D. A. Rayner, “The Enemy” was helmed by Dick Powell; it’s his last movie as director.
Oscar Nominations: 1
Special Effects: Walter Rossi
Osar Awards: 1
Running time: 98 Minutes.
Written by Wendell Mayes.
Released December 25, 1957.
DVD: May 25, 2004
Leave a Reply
- Blood Ties
- Inside Llewyn Davis: Top Coens, Cannes Highlight
- Jimmy P. (Psychotherapy of Plains Indian)
- Fast & Furious 6: Thrilling Joyride
- Angelina Jolie Double Mastectomy–Talk of Cannes Film Fest
- Bling Ring, The
- Before Midnight: Hawke and Delpie at Mid-Age
- Stories We Tell
- Great Gatsby: Luhrmann’s Jazzy Spectacle
- Star Trek into Darkness: Solid Sequel
- Love Is All You Need: From Denmark Via Italy