Torpedo Run (1958) B-
In the Oscar-nominated psychological WWII drama “Torpedo Run,” directed by Joseph Pevney, movie star Glenn Ford, at the height of his career, plays submarine commander Barney Doyle, who is obsessed with sinking a particular Japanese aircraft carrier.
Several months earlier, the carrier had escaped destruction by shielding itself with a POW transport ship, which was sunk by Doyle’s torpedoes.
The sunken transport had been carrying Doyle’s wife and daughter, captured in the Philippines. This tragic incident has transformed Doyle into a modern Ahab, mercilessly driving the men towards the single goal of blowing the hated enemy aircraft carrier out of the seas.
The Supporting cast includes Ernest Borgnine and Dean Jones.
Oscar Nominations: 1
Special Effects: A. Arnold Gillespie, visual; Harold Humbrock, sound
Oscar Awards: None
The winner of the Special Effects Award was “Tom Thumb.”
Running time: 98 Minutes.
Directed by Joseph Pevney
August 22, 1990
Leave a Reply
- Hangover Part III
- Blood Ties
- Inside Llewyn Davis: Top Coens, Cannes Highlight
- Jimmy P. (Psychotherapy of Plains Indian)
- Fast & Furious 6: Thrilling Joyride
- Angelina Jolie Double Mastectomy–Talk of Cannes Film Fest
- Bling Ring, The
- Before Midnight: Hawke and Delpie at Mid-Age
- Stories We Tell
- Great Gatsby: Luhrmann’s Jazzy Spectacle
- Star Trek into Darkness: Solid Sequel